Required Certifications needed for employment with Sockeye Enterprises:
- H2S Alive (must be done in class)
- CSTS – Construction Safety Training System (can be completed online or in class)
- First Aid Level One (must be done in class)
- OSSA Fall Protection (must be done in class)
- Bear Aware (can be completed online)
- WHMIS (can be completed online)
- TDG – Transportation of Dangerous Goods (can be completed online – for drivers with 1 year clean abstract)
How to Get Certified
In the Nelson area, these courses are offered at Selkirk College (www.selkirk.ca), Valhalla Safety (www.valhallasafety.com) and the Southern Interior Construction Association (www.sica.bc.ca). Other training centres in Vancouver, Kelowna, Calgary and Edmonton offer these courses every week day.
There may be some funding available in the Nelson area for these courses through KCDS (www.kcds.ca, 250-352-6200) if you are currently unemployed or working less than 20 hours/week. You need to book an appointment with an employment counselor to inquire about training. There is also some training assistance through the BC Construction Association for unemployed and underemployed individuals. You can contact the STEP program through their website http://www.stepbc.ca/ for more information.